Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Rainy Day in the City

A Rainy Day in the City
Frustrated from the confirmation of "a chance of rain," I finally ripped off the price tag to my poncho and struggled to fit it over me and my backpack. There were fifteen of us on a hike through downtown. Half way it started pouring. We took refuge under the shoulder of the new library. As we adjusted to get dry, we could hear our voices and the rain echo off the walls. Everyone was in a great mood, the noises made us laugh and act silly.
From our little cave we had an awesome view of the city. Some of us thought it would be fun to take a picture in the rain, and it was, if you don't mind smiling while being shot in the face with a thousand water pellets. The storm was so thick that some of the high risers disappeared in the clouds. We decided to wait out the storm. I was parched so I pulled out my bottle of water, which tasted cool and refreshing until the smell of fish hit my nose. There was a homeless man sitting about three feet away from me eating tuna out of a can. The smell was bitter, however, the longer I sat there, the sweeter my thoughts grew. My dad always asks me, "What's the difference between you and a homeless person?"  Then he would answer, "You're homeless every time you leave your house." With a grin across my face I finally understood what he meant. Regardless of what we think we have or what status we carry, we all eat and seek shelter where we can find it.


".....a meal is as good as a feast....."


No comments:

Post a Comment