Monday, March 3, 2014

Motivation – Popson’s Dilemma



            As a student I was happy to read a Professor trying, not only to get our attention, but to go above and beyond to figure out what motived us to succeed. Out of the eight Professors I chose one that was the most helpful in my opinion. Therefore I think it would be appropriate to list and explain each Professor and their advice by rating, starting with lowest to the highest.

1 for Professor Harvey
Let us start with “You can’t motive someone else.” Wow, it sounds like a bitter person who gave up on teaching a long time ago, if they even started in the first place. I thought teaching was about inspiring a passion for the subject at hand. Unless they took the job for the sake of clocking in and out, at which point you do not have to motive any one. As long as they can secure a check who cares? However, to say that they “can’t motive someone else” is an irritating lie to anyone with any compassion for evolution. They should at least be honest and say they are too lazy to care.

2 for Professor Buckley
            I gave this Professor a 2 not because of the lack of motivational advice, in fact, they were sweet suggestions. A personal learning contracts, different assignments and different due dates per each students, on top of coupons to ditch class. If I were a Professor trying to implement these strategies I would feel over whelmed. Is not the teachers supposed to set a system students can follow, one that works for both the teacher and the student. As far as coupons for missing any three classes that is almost asking for your students to leave. This is college not elementary school.

4.5 for Professor Donnelly
            Donnelly lost me at a quiz before every class. Too many students have a hard enough time with anxiety, to be slapped with it as soon as a student steps foot in a door is not a good start.  I agree with it in terms of discipline but certainly not motivation. Giving extra points for turning work in on time, well that is like saying the electric company will give you money back every time you pay your bill. Last, to reward every positive action with points and take off points when a student screws up, I think it would take too much time out of teaching. Not to mention the arguments about the points taken off.

5 for Professor Chang
            It was a good idea to get students involved with the environment. I think Chang was right to shoot to motive students through compassion, I just don’t see how the advice  would be diverse enough for a class like calculus.    

6.5 for Professor Assante
            I was sold on the fact that college grads make a million dollars more than high school grads. I am sorry did someone say a million bucks? You have my attention, especially when all I have to do is finish what I already started.

9 for Professor Egret
            This Professor cares about the teamwork among his students. I know from experience that pairing up or contributing in a group can put more value in the class as individuals and as an acting unit. I also support Egret’s idea to bring interesting topics to class.   

9.5 for Professor Fanning
            I gave this Professor a nine as well. I like the idea of the ladder effect; challenging students with one step at a time than climbing higher and higher. This seems to be the simplest yet most effective way to teach students by using baby steps to secure confidence.

10 for Professor Harvey
            This was my favorite. “Learning should be active and fun.” Keeping students active keeps them alert and focused. Having fun creates anticipation and competition. Teaching deep and important lessons will help students relate with the subject and most likely retain what they learn. To eliminate the focus of motivating and jump right into the fun of learning is the smartest way to keep a class stimulated.

1 comment: